Monday, May 18, 2009

I have excuses, really, I do...

...for not posting in over a month.

Our entire little family was sick for about a month and a half or so. We are thankfully now all better, but the coming of spring was a doozy for us.

I have also been absent because I have picked up yet another hobby...baking bread! I was inspired by this post to buy this book, and I am so incredibly glad that I have. Here was my first attempt at baking bread (thanks for the photo Matt!):



I have made a number of loaves, rolls and muffins since, and each one seems to be an improvement from the one before. I am definitely enjoying the new hobby.

Another reason I haven't posted in forever is that Ryken is incredibly mobile now, meaning the vast majority of my days are now spent chasing him around. He is crawling, and he seems to enjoy speed and independence so very much. For pictures and videos of the little man on the move, and more excuses why the posting has been negligible, check out this post.

Stephenie Meyer has also kept me from posting...she is magical I tell you, magical. Her books suck you in and you cannot escape. Must. Keep. Reading. In addition to now having read the entire Twilight series three times, I was sucked in by The Host. It is a very good book, and I am guessing I will eventually succumb and read it multiple times, as was the case with Twilight.



In knitting land, I have several projects going, as always. One of which is a sweater for Ryken from Essential Baby. I haven't made anything out of that book that I haven't been extremely happy with. I am using Caron Simply Soft's new Eco line (color is Dark Denim Wash), which I found at Walmart, and it seems to be knitting up quite nicely. As I was working on the sleeves, I wanted an easy way to keep track of the increases (increase one stitch at each side every 4th/5th/whatever row), so I made and used a crochet stitch marker:



I just hooked and unhooked the little clasp onto the row of the most recent increase. It worked like a charm. It was probably bad timing on my part to make him a sweater when it is in the 90's now, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will still fit him come fall. I promise to turn up the AC and put the sweater on him so you can see the finished project on him soon, though.

Thanks for being patient with the very long absence, my goal is to start posting much more frequently, and I promise I will try very hard to see that actually happens.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I have wanted to try making bread for awhile now but it just doesn't seem like I have the time.

The host huh? I might have to look into it. I have heard a couple of good reviews about it but nobody said it was amazing. Maybe I can borrow it from someone.

Andrea said...

So happy for the update. The bread looks amazing and I can't wait to try it. AND to take a peek at the book too. Might have to start another hobby around here too. :)

Also I just love that denim blue yarn. It is going to look so great on that boy!