Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Domesticity

I absolutely love our home, and it is such a joy to be able to live here. I feel so blessed that I get to spend my days being a "homemaker". While the term seems outdated, I find it describing myself to a t. Here is an idea of the homemaking I have been enjoying lately. First off, I made another bath mat (very similar to this one). This one is for our front bathroom.

bath mat

I machine "tied" this quilt. Here is the back.

bath mat back

While on floors, I am in the process of making a crochet rag rug, with some help from these instructions, which I'm altering just a bit.

rag rug

I'm using our old worn out sheets. It is a great project to work on while playing with Ryken. He had lots of fun playing with the giant red ball.

rag rug basket

I have also been doing quite a bit of baking. I attempted to make chocolate bread, but it ended up tasting like a wheat-white blend. Not even a hint of chocolate. That was a bummer. Can you see the chocolate swirls?

bread book

Here's a little closer look.

swirls

And here is what the loaves turned out like.

bread pans

The chocolate disappeared. I was bummed. Nevertheless, the Bread Book remains one of my favorite books, ever. Yes, I think it even trumps Twilight. Especially after a very successful attempt at making french bread.

french bread

This bread was absolutely delicious. I will definitely be keeping this one stocked in our kitchen.

Can you tell I've been in the experimenting spirit? If not, here's another example. Tonight I made my first pie, ever. I used this recipe to make a blueberry pie. Here it is before baking.

pre baking

After baking.

finished pie

After slicing.

partial pie

Our dessert.

pie slice

With ice cream, of course.

pie and ice cream

It turned out sooooo good! Have I convinced you yet how much I love homemaking? I do. So much. With all of this baking, I've been getting lots of use out of my apron.

baby apron

block baby

My mom made this apron for me when I was young, and I love it. Every time I put it on I smile to myself and remember baking with her, preparing for Christmas cookie parties, and all of the sewing she did for me when I was young. I'm following her lead in the sewing department, currently working on this apron. I'm so excited to have a second apron! I could definitely use two with all of the baking going on around here! My mom has definitely played a large part in how much joy I get from homemaking (thanks Mom!).

Hopefully you enjoyed this long hodgepodge of homemaking. And I hope you are finding things about your home that make you smile.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Oh Amy you are definitely a girl after my own heart. I've been teaching my oldest daughter to sew today, and she's making an apron! It's got a little flounce at the bottom and it's so cute. She's doing a great job. My younger daughter is our resident baker, she loves it. We count on her for most of the sweets around here now.
Blessings,
Marcia