Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sew Your Seeds

outside book

I had so much fun experimenting with various textures while making designer Sue Spargo's needle keeper. The pattern, "Sew Your Seeds", was published in American Patchwork & Quilting's October 2009 issue (you can also find directions to make your own here). I used felt, cotton, beads, thread, embroidery floss, yarn, buttons and ribbon, all of which came out of my stash. The appliques were done with paper backed fusible web. This project was the first time I attempted blanket stitch...

close yellow

...and chain stitch...

close blue

...and also my first time doing couching...

close pink

...all of the embellishments were so fun! I just loved seeing how it all came together. This little project was wonderful, and considering all of the hand sewing, it came together fairly quickly. I am so pleased to have such a fun needle case now!

inside book

Here's to learning new things and discovering the joy of being creative without spending any money!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! It's beautiful! How fun that you can embellish a pattern to suit your own style. Good job!

Amy said...

Thank you SO much! That means a lot, especially from you...your work is so beautiful!