Monday, August 13, 2012

Book Bags

Oh my goodness life is busy with two little ones!!!  I have been intentional about keeping both little ones as occupied as time and resources will allow (they are both SO wonderfully active and energetic, but it makes for one busy and sleepy Mama, lol).  Because we have had so much going on I haven't had any time for this blog, though miraculously I have been able to find bits of time here and there to get crafty.

One of the major reasons I started this blog was to keep track of all of the things that I have made.  A scrapbook-blog of completed projects, if you will.  I had fun utilizing this space for a myriad of other things, but as I approach the 5th anniversary of Knit Me Pieces, I'll be stripping everything back down to this original purpose.  I think that's about all I have time for anymore. 

I have quite a few projects that have been completed, photographed, and put to good use, and I'm hoping I'll find time to add them to this blog (which I have missed) in the upcoming days.

One of the first things I made for this summer was a set of matching library tote bags.

 
Ryken and Aven both participated in our local library's summer reading program, and all three of us had a great time.  So many fun new books, and surprisingly cool prizes.  With so many books coming home and going back to the library, these bags were incredibly helpful and proved to be quite durable.  I just wish I had made the straps a little shorter for the little shoulders that carried them. 

Here's what I did (multiply by two since I made two bags):

Used a tote bag I had to figure out what size I wanted
Cut four big rectangles (two outer and two lining)
Cut two accent strips (front and back)
Cut straps (two outer and two lining)
Sew accent strips onto outer rectangles
Sew outer rectangles together (right sides together - both sides and bottom)
Sew inner rectangles together (right sides together - both sides and bottom - leaving a hole at the bottom for turning right side out later)
Sew both straps (one lining to one outer - right sides together - then turn right side out and press)
Edge stitch straps
Baste straps to outer fabric
Nestle right sides of bag together
Sew around the top
Turn right side out (through the hole you left) and press
Edge stitch top of the bag
Sew closed the hole you turned the bag out through
Voila!  Enjoy!


No comments: